Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Stained glass-ish side light/window




Side light
The long plain window(aka boring) next to the main door was begging for some upgrade. Stained glass was an expensive option but lucky for me I came across gallery glass paints. I got super excited with the idea of an inexpensive paint that gives the look of stained glass with the option of peeling it off at any time. No damage to the glass...Perfect!!

I began research on the various techniques and mediums and found all the needed information at http://galleryglassclass.blogspot.com/

The first step was to plan a design and the colour scheme. I do not have a 'before' picture of the window. Its basically a thin long window divided into 5 panels. Since its my first attempt I decided to keep it simple and replicate a design on all the panels. I chose to create a border and etch a design in the center. The materials used and the steps involved are described below.

Materials Used

1. Gallery glass:  colours (yellow and red), etching medium, redi-lead, instant lead
2. Blank stencil sheets
3. X-acto knife
4. Stencil brush
I bought all my supplies from Michaels.

Process

1. I first drew a border on the paper such that the size matched the window panel. This helped me decide the exact size of the central design. Then I sketched the design on the paper.

 

2. Next I taped the blank stencil sheet onto the paper and began cutting using the x-acto knife. This was the most time consuming part of the entire project.
 

3. Placed the redi-lead strips on the window to form the border for each panel. (no overlap) and sealed all the joints using liquid leading.
4. Now it was time for the colours. I wanted to create diagonal streaks of yellow and red in the corner boxes. I began by squeezing out yellow lines and randomly placing red lines in between. Then using a tooth pick I combed the two colours to merge them slightly. The first box I worked on ended up as a box filled with orange rather than a mix of red and yellow lines. Lesson learnt--don't over comb!! Since its the top most box I figured no one will notice ;)

5. After finishing all the corner boxes I moved on to the central design. I taped the stencil in the center of the panel and used the etching medium in a 'pouncing' motion to create the etched design. Continuig the process on the rest of the panels was easy.

I  was very happy with the results of my first DIY project.


Fast forward 3 years and the paint still looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment